We're smack dab in the middle of Summer, and keeping that healthy glow is a must. I adore what natural sunlight does to my skin and my mood, but in 20 years or so, my SKIN won't adore it. If you have to be out in the sun, make sure you wear a powerful sunscreen to keep from burning and ruining your skin. However, the best way to give yourself that sultry Summer glow, is to apply a sunless tanning lotion. Not only will you look like a bronze Goddess, but you'll also save your skin from a lot of trauma. Here are some of my tips on getting a great glow!
1) Pick a day
First you need to pick a day that works for your tanning routine. There is a little work that goes into it, so you'll want to set aside 30 minutes to an hour, once a week, to get it done. The best time for me is Sunday evenings. I like to be tan going into the week, and it's one of the only days I have some free time to pamper myself. I always do this in the evening so that the tan can get at least 8 hours of setting time, before I hop into the shower the next morning.
2) Scrub Away
Enjoy a nice steamy shower, shave and then scrub away all those dead skin cells. In order to get a really nice even glow, you'll want to have a smooth palette to work with. Try not to use a sugar scrub that is too oily though. You don't want any extra residue on your skin when you are applying the sunless lotion. Any basic scrub should work. I use this kind, and LOVE it!
3) The Motion of the Lotion
Before the tanning process, rub a little moisturizer on your knees, elbows and heels to guard against those areas getting TOO dark.
4) Maintaining that glow!
OK, so now you are looking lovely with your new tan, how do you maintain it during the week? Here are a few good tips:
1) Shower in luke warm water, not super hot. I LOVE super hot showers, but the tan will fade faster.
2) Don't use sugar scrubs on the areas you want to remain tan. The scrub will take the first layer of your skin off, thus resulting in a faded color.
3) Make sure you moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. I have sensitive skin, so I use an unscented lotion by Jergens, all over my body. It's creamy and doesn't make me break out.
4) To continue your glow all week, you can also use a tinted moisturizer. They come in light, medium and dark and will add to your color.
5) Make sure your face remains the same color as your body. Since we wash our faces a couple of times a day, you can always reapply tanning lotion to your face during the week. It's also good to use a light bronzing powder to play up your beautiful glow.
OK, I hope these tips helped you out. They are exactly the tips I use and I know they work. Are there any tips or tricks you use to have a beautiful tan all year round? I'd love to hear them, drop me a line!